THE Main nut...

Thursday, June 11, 2009

So the Gardens grow

Yesterday was a good day! I felt energized and encouraged, although not sure if it was a fluke or not. I hope it continues...

I spent a marvelous Wednesday morning watering and mulching the "little" gardens. Truly that's what they are. But none-the-less I always enjoy them. (These pics were taken on Tuesday.)
I really seem to have a green thumb (at least most believe I do). For example, my African Violets will be in profuse bloom soon. They all started out very small and were my deceased Mother-in-laws. She was never able to get them to re-bloom. (Located under the variegated Spider plant). They have gotten VERY large and last year bloomed from about the middle of July till I brought them in for the winter.

It amazes me at the ease of growth and the early little cherry tomatoes that I just planted two weeks ago. I LOVE cherry tomatoes! I also have 1 child still in "lock-up" that will be tickled over this and he could eat nothing but tomatoes! This is 1 I have growing on my front porch. Obviously it's happy there.
This year we've "braved" the gardening limitations often found in our downtown environment. Limited on workable land Scott and I have put in a little garden by the back door. It's a hoot! But with any luck will do well despite the partial shade that envelops that area after morning. We already have the starts a a bell pepper. How exciting!!


















We've planted 4 tomato plants, 7 bell pepper plants, some Lemon Balm and Sweet Annie here. As you can see from above it's alot for such a little space. This pic shows that as of 4:45 (Tuesday) the only thing getting sun is the Sweet Annie on the far end.

On the other side of the steps we've chanced some cucumbers. They also seems to be happily growing. I hope the harvest will come out nicely.
Our oldest member of the family is our Rott mix, Omni. Gentle as a baby, she decided (as she often does) to check out the neighborhood...








Feeling left out the BUNs DEMANDED their own personal gardens, lol. So through recycling of an old water trough I added some drainage holes and river rock. This beautiful little garden should help keep THEM (and us happy). Plantings include spearmint, mint julep, lavender, red Sylvia and curled parsley. I'll have to watch the mints or they will take over it all.
The red Sylvia was added to encourage the hummer that seems to visit us in August (for the last three years). I've also added more reds to my planted baskets this year just for him.
You know, to me gardening is really enjoying and easy. I wish parenting these challenging step-sons we equally as easy! Sometimes you just have to get more creative than they are. (And I don't mean artistically either,lol.)
My energy flowed throughout the day and allowed me to prepare a wonderful supper for the family. Including homemade fried chicken, chilled pasta salad, sweet rice, southern style greens, deviled eggs and brownies... oh yeah, and of course served with spearmint tea! What an unusually high vibe day.

No comments:

Post a Comment