THE Main nut...

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Nestbox PANIC & Miracles...

Ever counted babies and had them disappear? Well that seems to be my case! Saturday I checked on everyone...19 french babies all present and accounted for. Monday...comes and BAM! I've "lost 1" (literally)! I can't find it! NO WHERE!! Not in the nest box, not in the hutch & NOT on the floor (course I've got baby saver installed). Disappeared I tell you! Selma's quit feeding, Frustrated I start separating Selma's litter for fostering... after I lose 1 to malnourishment from her. How many can 1 doe handle?! I added a meager 2 to poor Sunny's litter... not sure how she is going to manage! She is somehow, I believe a miracle worker!! She has been doing very well (surprisingly so) with her enormous litter of 12. I'm still in Awe! This picture is taken today of the 14... almost to many to count in this picture... definitely a very FULL nestbox!

The remaining 3 are being fostered (and very closely monitored) by our Dwarf Hotot Reverse that delivered Sunday (6 days after Selma) a litter of 7. Risky at best, in my opinion. As they (DH's kits) could suffer in the long run I think. That brings Reverse's litter to 10! I hope she can handle them!! Scott checked on the DH/FA litter this AM and said the FA kits had nice full bellies. I hope the DH babies do as well. They blend in so well with Mom's wool that they are hard to see! Taken today, in this picture you can closely see the French (Selma's) and the new pink little DH's. Every time Reverse nurses she pulls more wool. She is doing so well with everyone right now. She is now a proud mama of a Chocolate, black and a ?? French... (maybe a fawn, but very light in color with white belly/legs). Maybe tomorrow I'll take pictures of just this 1 little one.
I wonder could Selma have quit feeding because of me handling the kits daily?? Should I re-breed her 1 more time and not intrude? Maybe not handle them?

Miracles and carelessness seem to go hand in hand in this family! Sunny has done VERY well with this litter! I've checked on everyone daily and been giving her oats & barley, fruit/nut birdseed and Calf Manna with a little crushed tums. Of course I'm also going to make sure she has Acid pack in her water... How much stress can 1 poor doe go through?!
Porschea (our big bad guard dog) saved a baby bunny on Saturday! Carrying it in from the rabbitry to me. Somehow it managed to escape from Sunny's nestbox and end up on the floor. Baby is doing well and will be named Lucky Dae (Day, depending on sex).
Totally amazed she did not hurt the poor little one! Not a bite mark anywhere! Actually, I think she thought it was her squeaker toy...they're the same color, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment