THE Main nut...

Thursday, March 5, 2009

In the Beginning...


I believe I may have finally found something "new" to obsess over with the beautiful French Angora. Although I have many (many, many) interests/hobbies and (Mom & Hubby say) talents this could very well test my determination to achieve perfection. It's one of my down falls... OCD. It's got to be perfect OR I keep working on it till it is (occasionally becoming frustrated in the process). YEP, I tend to over-do alot and go over-board occasionally...But that's me. I'm blessed with an ability to "know" when something is close to being ideal (regardless of what it it), kinda like an instinct I guess...

When I began this "little" endeavor I thought Just 1 was all I wanted...that's when Lisa of the Somerhill lines came into the picture. I was graced with the most BEAUTIFUL French Angora I'd ever seen, Emily. She's a lovely broken doe that has not had a huge success at delivering or raising a full litter of babies. Lisa placed her with me so I could begin to learn to spin my own fiber on a drop spindle (another adventure still in the works). Well, as unexpectedly as a tornado, I got pulled in to wanting to have many more and I decided I wanted to show & breed them as well. I felt the need to add a broken buck (who came from Georgia) and picked him up from (what seemed like the entire planet had been taken over by Lagomorphs/rabbits ((my first experience)) the ARBA National Convention. WOW! If shows were going to be this big maybe I should reconsider...! LOL

That was not the case as I quickly added many more...I've rescued champions whose coats were blown and came off in 1 piece and so thin you could almost touch you fingers around their spine. They are absolutely breathtaking now from constant extra care and are ready to be bred (maybe) and have their coats harvested for later spinning. I've searched and traveled more in the last 6 months than I have in the last 5 years!! just to learn about/touch, breed & show some of the most unique Angora I've ever encountered! I've met some totally awesome people along the way who I now consider part of my family! Would I trade this for any riches other than what I have now? NO way!!

Since I started this I now own 8 bucks (boys) and 6 does (girls). 4 of them are 8 week old bunnies, I will be selling 3 of them (I hope). I've (well, Viv my fawn doe) successfully raised our first litter of beautiful babies. I've had all but 1 (still a little small) judged on the show table and did well. Pictured above is the only doe of the litter...an absolute sweetheart!
I've been to three shows now that I've actually participated in. My third show I was blessed to win Best of opposite Sex Variety (BOSV) with 1 of my Black Bucks, Best of Breed (BOB) with my Tort Doe & Best of Opposite Sex Variety (BOSV) with my Junior broken (8 week old) buck. Not to bad, kinda impressive I think...AND VERY, VERY addicting!! LOL...Great something else to add to my addictions...LOL So I think I should be adding more pictures of my winning group...course I have to take some of the Junior first...I don't think anyone wants to see "baby" pictures...LOL Off to get the camera and do a little work...
Have fun following in this little adventure with me, I'm sure it'll be hoppy (sorry, couldn't resist) experience...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! I know you'll have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you joined us in our obsession...

    ReplyDelete